Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 6 July 2018

standing on the edge

Lille
Centre-ville 






Lille cathedral


Reflective exterior of Lille Musee des Beaux Artes (incredible)


I type this, the day after I returned from a ‘short-break’, in Lille. North-Eastern France may not seem for some, to hold such ‘Gallic-flair’, as Paris, or the South Provençal regions, but Lille is still yet another beautiful city. 
A lifelong cycling fan, I was ready for the many cobbled streets (Roubaix is only a neighbouring town, yet finale of the infamous old ‘Hell of the North’ race).
Much of the city centre was cobbled yet still pedestrianised so I was still allowed to feel free in my powered wheelchair. The key is to let the wheelchair (or bicycle) take the shocks, but not your body as well! Don't remain fixed in the saddle or collapsed back in the chair!
I am not an expert at either, but was able to recognise what was needed!
My joy reached an insurmountable level, when I discovered a ‘Bialetti Shop’. I was in dreamland!






It had been six years since my previous visit abroad (‘crazy’ perhaps?).
I needed to dip into some French culture, to aid my sanity! After visiting very regularly before my accident, only twice in the past 11 years. Twice in 2006 (including for ‘le Tour’, then a late summer visit). Although many ‘Italian phrases‘ were incorporated into French that I spoke, by accident, I found that a lot of my knowledge still existed ‘subconsciously’.



My problem.... I am unwilling to face one of my biggest problems. Women are not attracted to someone who relies on ‘State payment’. 
I have always maintained that I faced a difficult problem. I forever felt that my physical disability must be tackled initially. The plan was to then search for correct employment once ‘done’.
Since my accident, I have worked ‘voluntarily’, but ‘paid’ a couple of times as well. I am not ready to work in a full-time job. Part-time, voluntary work is not sufficient...
I am lucky. I HAVE TO BELIEVE IN MYSELF. I HAVE TO RELY ON LUCK.
I feel my luck could change. It’s gonna be a glorious day. We are standing on the edge...
  
Lucky

Perhaps this note is a ‘tell tell sign’, that I have matured from a child’s age. I no longer view World Cup matches on TV, easily identifying the stadium. The Stade Velodrome of Marseille, used in World Cup ‘98, was where Bergkamp hit that wonder-goal against Argentina. I also remember a penalty by David O’Leary, scoring at the Stadio Luigi Ferraris, in Genoa in 1990 (I think)?
However, now, all new stadiums are completely lacking of character, it seems. All have to meet similar standards, with regards to capacity, transport, safety, media facilities, and ACCESSIBILITY! Thumbs down, but thumbs up!

It may surprise some that I have remained quiet regarding my favourite sport.
Le Grand Depart est demain!
Eurosport and ITV are where I will be glued for the next three weeks!
One key stage, of many will be the new, intriguing, very short, explosive stage in the Pyrenees, Stage 17. Riders are to start in a grid position, depending on overall position! Stage finishes in Roubaix, and of course, L'Alpe d'Huez promise dramatic racing.



No comments:

Post a Comment