Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 6 April 2018

Cause/Effect


A longer post, make yourself comfy!...

Twenty years ago, I was only 13.
It is 2018. Twenty years ago, a massive year for my sporting heroes, 1998.  Michele Bartoli simply stunned me in April as he won Liege-Bastogne-Liege, and fast became my favourite cyclist. The ASICS rider then wore the leaders’ jersey throughout much of the Giro D’Italia in May. This three-week Grand Tour was a supreme stage race with overall victory for Marco Pantani (another hero of mine, since his early, ‘Team Carrera’ days).
May, Wembley, FA Cup final was won by my team Arsenal. Marc Overmars goal was added to by Nicolas Anelka as Arsenal completed yet another ‘Double’, beating Newcastle at Wembley. 
The following month, the World Cup in France. I didn’t attend, but was able to watch all key matches on TV. I decided that my team to support was that of the home nation. I had the ASICS team cycling jersey, the Arsenal away shirt (‘Vieira’ on the back), and so I also bought the French national shirt before the tournament start.  

Six years later, I met my hero, who signed my '98 jersey. It has remained framed ever-since!

No-one is allowed to know why Brazil and Ronaldo delayed kick-off of the biggest game in the world (World Cup Final). Patrick Vieira provided a sublime assist for Arsenal team-mate Emmanuel Petit, to score midway through the match. France won 3-0! Trois, zero.
French riders of the Tour de France celebrated as they watched the final on TV in hotel, near the beginning of ‘the end’. 
Team doctor of ‘Team Festina’ Willy Voet, was caught travelling through the Belgian border, with an extreme amount of Performance-Enhancing Drugs. A calamitous disaster. The Tour continued on, determined to finish, like the Giro, won by hero Marco Pantani. I wanted to turn my head but soon realised that ANYONE, ANYWHERE, in ANY SPORT could cheat. From such a high (my sporting heroes were victorious everywhere), I fell to such a low. I was able to recognise that my teenage heroes were built on flaws. 
Everyone knows of the problems in Cycling. People may know of problems in Athletics, Tennis and many more sports. However people really do not accept that similar competitive mentalities exist in Football. There is much more money involved, but does this clean all competitors’ mentalities?
TWENTY years on, players’ health safety is always still an extreme priority, but no-one is prepared to investigate properly...
:S

Kingston Green Party newsletters




I designed the latest ‘Kingston Green Party Newsletters’, focussed on two key wards in the upcoming Local Elections (May 3rd). We have two outstanding candidates, whose possibilities of success are prime. We are standing candidates in almost all wards in Kingston, all of whom are offering positive, progressive principles. It is in ‘Canbury Ward’ and ‘Chessington North & Hook’ that we have a strong history of challenging closely, the Conservatives or LibDems. We believe that Kingston cannot continue being weak enough to accept conditions under their virtual monopoly.

...Back to my music. Recent additions to my collection, are offered below.

Last week Jack White released his new solo album, ‘Boarding House Reach’. Unfortunately, I had no time to listen to it fully, before last week’s post was written.



Jack White
Boarding House Reach
Jack White has released a truly eclectic album of tunes and sounds that rock. Famed as a supreme guitarist, the album can be seen as veering away from this classic ‘rock guitar’ essence. Melodies may have been written on a guitar, however these rock sounds are actually provided through various electronic and digital instruments, it seems.
Wow. A serious lack of a guitar used, but still ‘rockin’! I struggle to listen without bewilderment, amazed by the ‘rock essence’ he holds, yet without a guitar! Impressive, very impressive.

Second artist promoted this week, is a favourite. Marissa has previously appeared on this blog, a few times. She has released a second album of covers in consecutive years (http://patrickgoodacre.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/bounce-back.html). Below I list artists of the 10 originals, that she has covered on this year’s release.
Marissa Nadler
Covers 2

Bud Green, Sam Stept, Herman Ruby
Cure
Dean Martin
Bee Gees
Leonard Cohen
Ray Price
Traditional
Jean Whitehead & Janette Tooley
Daniel Johnston
Leonard Cohen





Cover of Avalanche recorded in 2011
Original song by Leonard Cohen (1971)
I have just realised that, unintentionally, it is the second week in a row, I provide a cover song of the superb Leonard Cohen!


Bauhaus staircase

Dated at 1932, this ‘Bauhaus Staircase’ photograph, emphasises the beauty of the ‘Modernist, Art-Deco’ period.
Sorry to blurb on about a passion, again, as always on MY blog…
I love this photo, because it can be viewed in two respects. One can recognise the fact it has a 3D form (and is a staircase), or one can easily, visually ‘flatten it’, resulting in a graphical masterpiece, offering no depth to itself at all, just solid blocks of primary colours, on top of minimal black and whites tones.

On May 3rd, you have 3 votes. Have a Green voice.

March = averaging over 60 pageviews per day
‘Performance’ of this blog essentially means nothing, however it provides me with great joy, that people across the world, listen to my thoughts!

It is the ‘Hell of the North’ on Sunday. Paris-Roubaix races across cobbled lanes of Northern France. A fan, I follow ‘Trek Segafredo’ on Instagram. They have visited the treacherous parcours in training...
TrekSegafredo Roubaix recon


Everything is a contrast
A contrast is everything 
There is always an equal and opposite possibility of everything. Realise this. Without it, you have nothing. We must welcome contrast, but always use it wisely. Harsh contrasts of anything always have alarming results!
Without white, there is no black
Without black, there is no white

Inside one of my favourite, in Central London.
It was close.
A tight gap.
They shuffled past.
He got distracted, then entangled with a shelf.
As she followed, she spun her bag around,
I SAVED MY COFFEE!
I am quite proud of quick reactions (when necessary)!

Cause/Effect
I cannot expect things anymore.
What can I look forward to?
Everywhere has accessibility issues of some level. Nothing is ever certain, therefore I am having to learn to expect nothing. Unfortunately my brain has been very much wired, as a designer. I was taught that things happen, or exist because of a ‘cause’. However, I unfortunately know oh so well, that, sh*t happens. These two conflicting messages are colliding in the hallways of my mind. There is no winner, resulting in my mind always doubting itself. As much as I want to believe in ‘cause/effect’ situations, I know that essentially fate and nature is the law.


No comments:

Post a Comment