Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 19 April 2013

i cry...





Hello, I warn you as I type this week's, unusually early in the day (well, not evening). My cappuccino, shown above, is an old picture The sun is still out. I should rather say that 'it is daylight'. It's not baking hot or sunny yet (if ever).   I do not want to bring a sense of 'gloom and doom'. Last weekend brought me a smile as i could first see the colours of the 2013 peloton. Shadows were spotted on TV! Shadows of the peloton were spotted in the Dutch 'Amstel Gold Race'. Eurosport commentator David Harmon, seemed as equally gleeful as myself, describing 'a beautiful day'. 


    

Cycling was sunday(FYI, this sunday it is my favourite classic, the 'queen', Liege-Bastogne-Liege). I may be boring everyone by maintaining my cycling talk, sorry.
My next note was made on Tuesday, after a session of physiotherapy.  
'Not depressed.' I cannot get depressed but...
'my tiredness post-Physio, showed me how far I have to go.'
I have a long way to go, but then I have come a long way, i cannot opt out.

Yes, it's been long, and
Yes, I still feel strong...




Those ultra-fans of this blog may realise that I have actually deleted a post that was made earlier in the week. I posted earlier this week, on Monday afternoon, but then realised that my photographs of my bike statistics (times, distances, powers etc), were actually telling you very little. I had one page view on Tuesday, and i think about 4 on wednesday. I could quickly learn that these gym bike statistics were having a negative effect, and so deleted the post. Straight away, my page views shot back up to the usual average of about 25 per day. Turning this negative into a positive, I learnt that what i type is actually read and processed by people, and it is not all just a 'google anomaly'! hmmm

OK, I now talk about an issue close to my heart, ‘Sustainability’.
When meeting with a former colleague, Paul Micklethwaite, earlier in the week, I felt that my psychological concern about my own beliefs in eco-sustainability, were aided and developed.  I explained of my belief of fate and ‘the world keeps turning’, ‘what will be, will be’. I was then asked the simple question ‘The planet will survive, but will we?’
I admit that I don’t think I had ever thought of it in this order, but should do. Thank you Paul.

Below is a link that I provide to a book written by both Paul and Anne Chick (fellow ex-colleague). An depth investigation into ‘Design for Sustainable Change’. Quality.




Two notes left. I should stop continuing to fly Surbiton’s ‘accessibility flag’ so high. I went about today realising that out of the town’s centre, there are the same issues as found in other towns. Lack of shop accessibility is a problem that can reoccur anywhere, and unfortunately it is sad, but wheelchair users just have to go elsewhere!
I want to just add that today I was given a way back into ‘my café’. Words cannot describe how thrilled I am now that it has been made accessible, by the simple installation of a ramp. Thank you millions ‘The Press Room’, Surbiton.


After taking the blame for my wheelchair failure, the stepped entrance to the café is now overcome by the above ramp!
:)

My last note of the day is in defence of Lance Armstrong. I keep on altering my view on the subject. Essentially, I believe that he is a cheat, however he is now being used as a huge scapegoat  for the massive failings of the UCI (cycling governing body). Cycling has always faced the problem of cheaters, to find one rider and raise him so big, that you can exert power of crippling him down as a cheat, is harsh. It is disgusting how riders have been allowed to be led to drugs. Drugs have cost riders lives. It is so sad. I write this knowing that many of my childhood, teenage, and adult heroes have been created on false podiums, by the UCI. I cry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment