Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Sunday 4 September 2011

Bonjour!

I type this post, unusually on a sunday afternoon, but fear not I have just made and had a tasty cappucino so, as ever, no sense will be made.
Proof.

Anyway, sorry. It is a sunday afternoon, following a quiet morning involving recovery from the night prior.  There is no football this weekend, SO I am soooo bored! Notes on my phone that i have made recently.
I have a good joke that i want to share. It comes courtesy of my brother (thanks Dom).
"My girlfriend wants to finish with me, because of my Bi-Polar disorder. I don't know whether to laugh or cry."

Hohoho, right. I am quite used to being greeted by totally random elderly women when i am out and about. Now, this shouldn't really be an issue, as, no harm is meant, and often they may be an aid to the situation. It can however irritate me slightly as I am reminded that i've been singled out by them, as a 'special one' (not Jose), but as a wheelchair user and i am made aware that i am treated differently. hmmm.

Second note that i made was, yet again, from inside a cafe. There is no issue really, I just want to share my shock, and admit that i may be a solitary, lonely opinion holder, so wrong. Basically, earlier in the week, i was behind a gentleman in the queue who ordered his coffee in a cardboard cup, but then he preceded to explain that he would have "it in", and went and sat down with the disposable cup! I may be seen as a "whatever", but i was just left in severe shock. He unknowingly, had just acted completely against my rather strong view that I posted earlier in my blog (Sat 6th Aug). I was in shock.

I continue on a different topic in the same cafe. I want to admit that i could be seen as a pedantic perfectionist (I was on the way to my graphic design work, so this is allowed). Anyway, i was just re-arranging wooden blocks, into numeric order on the cafe bar. It sounds stupid but it really annoyed me the way they were stored went 1,2,3,5,8,4,6,7. It irritated me so much, I HAD to change it, so reached over the bar and did. It was afterwards that I realised how much stress i had been caused, by something so stupid. This is me admitting, 'cleaning the slate'.

As you will be able to tell, so much of this blog revolves around cafes. The three that I spend a lot of time in, here in Surbiton, are quite used (and some encourage)to me speaking French. I feel confident, speaking the language, but know that I am far from a fluent expert. It was whilst in Richmond on Friday, i was in a cafe speaking french, as they were French, I mistakenly called a glass, a spoon, and as i tried to correct myself, the staff understandably got frustrated. I need to remember when in England, I should speak English!


My third note has nothing to do with coffee. It simply states "acceptance". I think that i mean to refer to the unfortunate fact that almost five years on, I am very accepting of my situation, following the accident. Although this is clearly a good thing that is improving, I never want to fully accept, because i want to remain on my quest for improvement. If one fully accepts a situation, then nothing will change. I will not let this happen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment