Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Tuesday 23 August 2011

the real world

I type this week quite late at night, and accompanying coffee is not keeping me awake, so i apologise for I am slowly falling as................................................................leep.
My ipod has chosen to play a very mellow, chilled, some would call 'depressing', album by Cat Power. Quality but fueling the late night sleepy mood.
First note on my phone, was actually made for last week's post, but hey. It poses a question of which everyone's answer will be different, depending on situation. I am not new to facing it, but now, can view it from a slightly different angle as disabled. When out shopping for whatever product (say shampoo), I face a fair decision, between the economic price, and health satisfaction. Often, i choose the product on it's environmental benefit, but ignoring this (for example, all options are 100% environmentally sustainable - impossible, but lets say the differences are negligible), we are often posed the choice between economics and personal health. Is this right? Is it the same as opting for private health? Oh, I don't know, I am giving myself more questions as i type. Everyone chooses differently, thankfully.

Without naming names, I visited a cafe which I don't usually, mainly because it is positioned very near a favourite. On having lunch there, I was shocked by myself. I actually disliked the coffee that was served. On realising this, I now know I can taste the difference between blends. Whereas i did fear that it depended on my mood, whether or not i liked the coffee. To note, for all of those people out there wanting to buy me a coffee, i now prefer a 'skinny latte'. The semi-skimmed, or skimmed milk used, allows for a nicer drink, more taste of coffee, not of full-fat milk. Anyway, sorry, that may just be me.

As followers of this blog may be able to tell, or already know, I am enjoying life in the 'real' world.  Living independently, in the 'real' world makes me realise how lucky I am to no longer be stuck amongst fellow rehabbers in a 'home'.  Now, please do not misunderstand me, as I know how lucky i am to have received the rehabilitation and accommodation services that I have. Essentially I am now always on a road, and it is only through reflection of realising from where i have come, that I can give myself plenty of energy to move forward along this road. Recovery is not a destination. Recovery is a journey.

Sorry, I must finish this post, by briefly talking about my beliefs on recycling. Now, it is a big, global, huge, infinitely big issue. So, as i worked around sustainability issues, I quickly learnt that most issues are too big to tackle and cannot be solved by any one individual. Knowing this, personally (so should everyone) I only do what I can. If everyone does what they can, a change will occur. No problem/issue is too big, if everyone tackles it in the same way. Please make sure you do your bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment