Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Wednesday 18 May 2011

I shall never hang up my bike

...Literally maybe, but i mean to say that cycling has given me so much, it has helped form me as a person. As it has added so much to my life, I cannot give up on it just because it was involved in seriously damaging me.

I used to get seriously cross, upset with my bicycle when i was a child who was still learning how to ride at the late age of 9 years. I soon made up for the late start, timing myself to ride laps of my local recreation ground, by 10. I was already watching coverage the mighty Tour de France, on channel 4. I had first fallen for the event, watching Claudio Chiapucci ride through masses of tifosi, on his way to a stage win in Sestrieres (I think '92). Laps of the recreation ground, would equate for me as a Tour prologue event (initial, opening time trial), and I was Chris Boardman (superman).

After getting bored of the flat recreation ground, where speed often depended on whether its grass had been cut, I investigated Richmond Park, with friends. Initially I only rode the footpath between two gates (at most, a couple of kilometres). I immediately found joy as, as soon as it went up, my friends weren't behind me. I didn't show off, but they just couldn't keep up. I then remember persuading them to ride together up one of the longer climbs in the park (at kingston gate). I did it, tired, successful, but still a bit disappointed that I'd managed it. By the age of about 13 or 14 I was doing laps of the park (off-road). I admit that initially I always need to get off and push up the big climb in the park. I was in good company though. It seemed to me that all but good cyclists were having trouble up here. I was new.

These experiences of the getting the desire of freedom, speed, independance, competition, ability and love of my bike (my steed), were key for a young teenager, as i was. I soon realised that although a skinny schoolboy, who may not be the physically strongest footballer in the playground, my low body weight was a serious advantage when riding my bike. Humpf, 'okay, you've just tackled me, but i bet you can't get up this climb'. Football is incredibly important to 99% of the playground, as it was to me, but cycling is a more lonely, personal sport. I was quite comfortable in my own company, tackling my own personal records of speed, time, power, or whatever i chose, not relying on the ability of others. No excuses of other team-mates. I was quick to realise that everyone is different, abilities lie in different skills for different people, so, true competition could only ever exist with personal goals.
tbc.



2 comments:

  1. Yes cycling for me was a big part of my life up until a road race accident. There's the freedom it gives you. Feeling the sun and rain on your face. The challenges of going up long hills but coaching yourself on gave a great sense of achievement. Whenever I see a racing cyclist I think there goes another happy cyclist.

    I haven't been on a road bike for many years due to my impairments but then last year I discovered an all ability cycling group locally.

    What was amazing was the variety of bikes on offer - tandems, side0by-sides, hand trikes, trikes and wheelchair accessible bikes.

    On average the club gets 50 people a day vissiting the two sites and there are ride outs two.

    These days I can now ride a Mission 'step thru' trike. I need assistance to get on and off and have my feer strapped in on special foot plates but once thats done I'm off around a running track.

    I feel a beam appearing on my face as I independently cycle around the outdoor track.

    I was there yesterday - snow on the ground and track - beautiful sunshine and a blue sky. absolute heaven.

    ReplyDelete