Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Thursday 19 May 2011

...continuation....

I continue with my story with great passion, as, over the years through various guises (aerobic sport and fitness, friendships, competition, sport and associated heroes, design, work, education, and more) it became a prime passion.

Once I had become hooked, riding laps around the park off-road, I was then allowed to brainwash both my dad and my brother into joining me in the Park. They could both see my passion for this and joined me, viewing the infamous 'Festina affair' at the Tour de France of 1998, with as much skepticism and cynicism as everyone had. It was a difficult time for the sport of cycling, it hurt as I was just falling in love with it, it spits this scandal at me, at the impressionable young age of 13 (soon to be 14).

As I recognised it as a huge problem which affected me, as a fan, I decided to read around the topic. I read Paul Kimmage's 'Rough Ride', a truly amazing book. I could see that there has been a problem in cycling for many years, and as the toughest of all sports, there will be this issue forever into the future. It's sad but true that anyone who is devoting their life to competition, often devotes everything. I have my own views on 'drugs in sport', but i shall not explain them on this blog.

Anyway, I struggled on, defending cycling to friends and family, and as i did, i realised that i had a passion here. I remember incorporating a cyclist into my first D&T project at school, designing a new GB cycling kit for my 'Graphics' G.C.S.E. coursework (for which I got my highest mark - A* i think, sorry, a major plug!).

I started my first job, part-time at Evans Cycles in Kingston a few weeks after my sixteenth birthday, in a new millenium.

...tbc(again)...

No comments:

Post a Comment