Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Wednesday 24 November 2021

An opposite is always possible

Take any situation.  

Recognise positive or negative aspects. 

Hold these, but always simultaneously recognise the possibility of the opposite aspect (a positive if a negative, or a negative if a positive). 



Be aware of this ‘opposite’, and it’s possibility. Remember, never close your mind to anything, if it can be comprehended, it is possible. Likelihood may be near-impossible, but as long as the rational concept exists somewhere, it’s chance always exists.


I used to spend hours alone, whilst cycling, pondering these ‘opposites’. I was in love. I loved cycling so much, it did used to panic me. I raced, only once ‘officially’. I soon realised that such competition was not for me. I was so used to only racing against myself! Amongst others, once I was first to the top of a climb, what would I do?

I could easily recognise, that physiologically, certain bodies are suited to different types of cycling. Climbing was for me, flat, windy stretches, were not!


So, I would ride alone. Unfortunately I knew that a ‘negative’ was due. Personal fitness, competition, friends, employment, rational logic, design, it gave me everything, but surely there must be a downside?...


When I awoke in hospital, I was sad for obvious reasons, but quite content that my mentality had been proved correct! Mentally, I had prepared for this. There were no surprises.


I am quite able to close ‘that door’, now. I will always love the activity, I cycle on a static bike now, at home. Whilst obviously being the only sort ‘physically possible’, I am able to realise that many key positive aspects remain! Many lost, but many remain! 


The red 'Saeco cap' is worn, whenever training hard on my 'home gym-bike'.




This blue 'Campagnolo musette' is always carried with me, about my wheelchair, holding book, iPad, Coffee, or whatever! 




No comments:

Post a Comment