Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Thursday 31 October 2019

Life, roll my die,



I cannot ‘wait for something to blow over’. If there is an issue to be solved, I feel the need to tackle it head-on, there and then!
S*** happens... Deal with it!
Things that are ‘swept under the carpet’, still exist!

Serif font used to advertise a political party!
I graduated in ‘Design for Visual Communication’, following a BA Industrial Design and Technology. Both courses allowed me to discover my love for the ‘Helvetica’ typeface. This blog is written in Helvetica. Helvetica is the king but there are plenty of subsidary typefaces (using the similar ‘sans-serif’ styles. I rapidly realised that many of the serif typefaces (letters with curves/flicks/tails) are used to symbolise an old stature and decadence, but are in NO WAY young, modern, energetic, or promising.
A political party shoves endless paper into my mailbox. This party is fighting from third place, and with a new leader, and tries to prove itself as a viable competitor. I feel very fortunate that the Green Party always use Sans-serifs, throughout. Labour, and Conservatives, I do not know (I don’t really care), but Lib-Dems? Oh how I laugh... Such a shot-in-the-foot for them!
OK, graphic design may not be a totally fair reason for ‘political choice’, but perhaps they do not realise that they send such mixed messages through such subliminal errors! ;)

Faulty lifts result in wheelchair users traversing London, unintentionally!
Tuesday, I am journeying up from Waterloo, past Charing Cross, Trafalgar Square, on my way up to Soho’s Bar Italia.

Worth it!

A good coffee lover, some places may be distant but a worth the journey! Today I crossed the Thames northbound via Hungerford Bridge. I am told that I must use the other side of the bridge, as the lift is broken on this side. OK, I will not end up going through Charing Cross station, but up Northumberland Avenue, to reach Trafalgar Square, from this side of the bridge. A very short alteration, which was absolutely fine as I knew where I was going. However, it did made me realise that Wheelchair-users are so reliant on lifts, it is essential that they work, because just one faulty lift can result in plans, routes, times, meetings and decisions, are all destroyed. Severely restricted already, the inability to use a bridge, or a railway station, feels so painful. They are crucial links, and MUST BE ACCESSIBLE FOR ALL!

The following 'opening' text was typed as I sat alone by the river. Beautiful place. Deep thought. It was upon reaching home, that I was troubled. Do I really want to include this? I do not want to bring everyone down. I hope I will not. 

Opening
I open up(this may be difficult)! I may feel extremely happy, and content, on occasions, and I am forced to rely on these. Fortunately I do feel this, because I constantly feel an underlying set of painful ‘negatives’. I may never find a girlfriend. I have not kissed anyone in over thirteen years...
OK, I am no longer a young student, fit cyclist, with the world ahead of me. I work, but voluntarily. How do I find a girlfriend, if I am so different? I had to live for years in a ‘rehabilitation home’, learning how to live with my physical disability. No-one will ever know me, like I do. It would be difficult anyway given my age and other limitations. I can physically stand, not walk independently yet, but must be careful. Use of my left side is seriously damaged, I can properly hug no-one. I can live alone (requiring help with domestic tasks). Alone. I have been registered on ‘online-dating websites’ for nearly 10 years. I have been on ONE date.
I type this whilst recognising that I believe in fate, so there is little or nothing I can do.
Life, just live it.





Live it
Accept it
Love it


So it goes, you come in on your own, in this life, you know you leave on your own



No comments:

Post a Comment