Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 3 May 2019

From hospital

Doctors needed to remember which leg!



Live.
I type this ‘live’ from my hospital bed as i start a long recovery from the large surgery that i had today. I spent about 5 hours ‘out under anaesthetic’. I realise that it was about time that i posted, so i begun to make some notes, earlier this week. I don’t think there will be pictures, but i will try and work out how!

Anyway, my notes, so far...

I type this post in ‘extended note form’. I am not typing as one piece, but this post will be a collection of extended notes. I am not in a coffee shop, but in hospital. It pains me to tell you that currently, I feel to have spent much  of current life (since October 2006) in one, as much as the other!
A ‘temporary blip’!
... the name given  to my fall, last Saturday. Totally out of surprise to me, I fell transferring from my wheelchair, in my bathroom. I couldn’t get back up. I felt that I had fallen on my left side (my weaker of both). I called my Careline, ending up going to hospital.
I spent much of the following week trying to recover (invaluable support, supplied by my parents). Only in reflection do i find that I had forgotten to take my meds. Having been reducing my medication under observation, I then forget to take a portion anyway!

Did you forget to take your meds?

Over a week later, I started my weekly journey into my local supermarket. I ignored the quiver I felt in my leg, when I turned, reaching for a bunch of bananas. I continued on, into a refrigerated aisle aiming for a packet of gnocchi.
ooooOOOOAAAAARGH!! 
I screamed with pain. I could do nothing. 
I have always been confident of owning my mental, cognitive abilities. The pain was affecting me so much, that I lost these! I didn’t realise at the time, but I was also having a panic attack! No stop. I felt my chest imploding! WHAT? (I had never had anything like this before...
OW! My leg!
Breathe. What, I can’t breathe?!
My leg!!!!!!
Oh man, the whole supermarket must looking!
My chest is imploding!
The staff first-aider was very helpful, even though no one knew what was wrong.
That was Monday. Today it is Thursday (almost two weeks since my ‘bathroom fall’), and I have had a  CAT Scan.
I was told fairly swiftly afterwards that I have fractured my hip! Tomorrow I will hopefully have surgery! At least I now know the reason for my sudden screams of pain, Monday.
I lay in hospital awaiting surgery, on Friday morning as i type this. The neck between my femur (thigh bone), and one of the main sockets in my hip, is broken and being replaced. Not the whole hip, but a key part.


Toilet for the
Third gender

Hospital patient trolley experience 

Nadia Reid
Preservation (2017)


Ubuntoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment