Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Monday 27 May 2019

...an old system

I am still in hospital.
The plan is to get out a soon as possible. That should mean this week, but so much support will be needed at home, therapists are all working hard, for me.

A photo from way back on April 20th, in hospital, following my original fall!


So, it seems that a few of you do seem to check this blog on a Friday anyway, regardless of whether or not I have advertised a new post!

Doctors and Therapists are able to make informed decisions.
However, the many, busy, Hospital ward staff...
 ‘don’t have time to watch the news .... 
... LET ALONE VOTE!’
(The words of a nurse who has been recently, helping me in hospital)

It seems that some EU citizens who are residents in England (and have been for however long) were not allowed to vote!
There has been a huge, unfair mix-up. 

Ok, there are problems throughout European politics, it seems. Results from the recent UK elections, show that there is now a large array of options for liberal voters, on the ‘left’ of politics. Passion for the Green Party is growing everywhere across Europe, as more and more people are recognising the problems that humanity is facing. Some shut their eyes to problems. Those on the ‘right’ side seem to have seen the government sinking, and ‘jumped ship’ to only one right-sided alternative (they are still stuck in the old left/right battle)!

Our democracy could be considered as damaged or broken. Many of you may recognise a range of different issues involved (proportional representation of vote counting, number of newer or smaller parties, etc). 

The layout of the two houses in Parliament is striking to me. The two different houses are actually each long rectangular rooms, containing two opposing sides of seats, for two opposing sides of an argument. A set-up for a two-party political system. Confrontational, not constructive.  In my view, a better democracy would involve a greater number of parties arguing or discussing issues from a wide range of opposing aspects. Not just two. The current Houses of Commons, Lords (throughout parliament) are only sufficient for an old style of two-party politics. Britain has progressed to allow a number of new, small, young parties to break onto the scene, they  should be allowed to voice their opinion just as coherently as the main governing party. Everyone should be able to oppose, offering a chance for much broader, more balanced arguments and greater solutions.

From being only a senior position within the Conservative Party, Theresa May never won a General Election, to BECOME Prime Minister. Are we really going to let Boris just walk into that position, as well?
...Problems with our ‘democracy’...

Results from our recent elections are now complete...


A couple of photos for you...

Staples
A few days ago, my surgery wound was seen as healing well enough for it to have the ‘staples’ holding together, removed. I must have a closer look!



View
The view of Kingston, from my hospital room. 
I am stuck, but it could be worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment