Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 28 December 2018

The journey


Ponte Vecchia in Florence
Photo can be found on Twitter @melindagallo

Recovery is not a destination. Recovery is a journey. I must not focus entirely on a goal, a target, or ‘the other side’. I must continue to live the best i can, whilst on this journey ‘across the river’.


I hesitate as i write this post in note form. I really do not think that this blog can continue at such a rate!
I am only human.
I enjoy writing, expressing my feelings. However I realise that repetition of issues can devalue them, and bore or irritate you!

'Recovery is not a destination. Recovery is a journey'. It worries me to create some kind of ‘invisible cloud’ over me, that many of you may think will disappear ‘once recovered’! It terrifies me to think that people may just consider ‘ability to walk’ as a measure of ‘recovery’!
Yes, I am training for that, but it is just a part of ’the journey’. 
My journey will never end.

Please believe me, i try and i try, but ‘gains’ are minimal (in my head). I have recognised my achievements throughout recovery, so far. I am incredibly proud of myself, and grateful to EVERYONE who has helped so far, but recovery never ends. 
I know that I will continue to ‘recover’ forever, but my life needs so much more. Everyone lives so much deeper lives than what can be represented on a computer screen!
I exist. I need more!
I am an actual human being, not just a ‘computer character’!

Now I stop typing, because I cannot continue to do such, so regularly. 
Only when i stop, and self-reflect, do i actually face my problems.
It is too scary.
The truth, not only hurts, but it terrifies.
This blog will slow…
I feel that...
I am running out of paint, covering the cracks.

150, 000 page-views within 8 years…
 You like the ‘paint-work’. It satisfies me hugely to know that these words are read and understood widely, across the globe. Therefore I do not wish to completely close this down, but slow down. Issues that i feel are deserving, will be talked about, but i will not try and ‘fill space’ (which i can do so easily)!


Thank you all!
;)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Patrick. You have to do what’s best for you now and if that is slowing down then so be it. I enjoy your posts and will look forward to future ones if and when they appear. Keep well and all the best for 2019

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sara! Your response means so much to me. :)

      Delete