Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 15 March 2013

La Classicisma...

...is on Sunday. Otherwise known as 'La Primavera', the Milan-San Remo, is the colourful opening Classic bicycle race of the season. A relatively flat contest, usually finishing in a bunch sprint. Most years it is outdone by the week-long Paris-Nice stage race, with a peloton hitting the Cote-D'Azur, bathed in sunlight. However this year, rainfall on last week's French race, could mean that Italians have the primary chance to introduce this years colours of the peloton in bright sunshine. We shall see... 

Important note to self:
I believe in fate. Fate isn't just 
'she's drinking in the same pub/cafe as me! Behave. I must not be such a pathetic, obvious flirt. Try and retain some pride!!'

Part of the reason for feeling able to spurt out these 'flirts', is that...
... I now speak without fear (or negative thoughts).
I am very grateful for the speech therapy that i received fairly early on (post-coma). However, I feel that by having the whole experience, I have managed to seriously develop my confidence in my spoken word. It may be that I often find that I seem to surprise people who are expecting minimal communication with a wheelchair user. It can be good fun, especially in France!!!


...

 Above: Tatiana Guderzo racing through Kingston on a Cipollini TT bike.
Having Olympic cyclists in Kingston last year meant the worlds finest legs.

I am referring to Olympic cyclists, in case you are distracted! Tututut...

I have been praised for the honesty of this blog. Hmm, nice, but of course it is honest. How would i write so much, if it all was just a lie. I will be honest and tell you that I have been trying to cut down talking about coffee (not cutting down drinking)! I am accompanied by one, as we speak (rapidly cooling, hmmm), but I shall not bore you to tears about my love.

I went to The Stanley Picker Gallery, for a talk by Marloes Ten Bohmer (www.marloestenbhomer.com). I found that my love of Modernist and Functionalist design principles were shared and used effectively by Marloes (Dutch footwear designer). She seems to be really involved in breaking down fashions of shoe design, and starting the designs from the basics (following the 'form follows function' rule). Personally, I found it eye-opening, in realising how regular, footwear design is, before being broken down ergonomically.

OK, music. Playing my iPod, and i listened to at least 5 different versions of 'Karma Police'. Asides from Paranoid Android, it alone, perfectly sums up the OK Computer album for me. Perfection.
   Track 6. Karma Police

I should perhaps note, that this was the first song that I learnt to play on guitar, around Christmas '97 (i think...). I fell in love with the whole album thereafter.

Whilst on the topic of music, the new BRMC (black rebel motorcycle club) album is out Monday 18th. : )


Through watching 'The Peaceful Warrior', I was given a very useful quote, that i want to share with everyone.
'The journey is what brings us joy, not the destination.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment