Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Tuesday 19 February 2013

Universal Design


Why ‘Universal Design’?

‘Universal design’ and ‘Inclusive design’, are both fashionable phrases  at the moment, that personally I don’t like. “Shock” and ”Horror” I hear you all say.

OK, OK, I am currently a wheelchair user and so therefore very, very grateful for as much ‘universal design’ as possible.

I do, however, think that all ‘good design’ is inclusive. If a product is designed, that cannot be used, or a graphic designed that cannot be understood, then the designer has failed drastically. Things should be designed around potential users. If one is designing specifically for an individual, or only a small group of known users, then fair enough. Fortunately, we live in a modern world, in which medical advancement is ever-continuous. Therefore we are allowing more and more people to live in our ‘designed’ world.

In doing so, we are forever stretching targets further and further ahead. Things are designed for as much use, or as long-a-life, as possible. A ’good design’ can be used by as many people as possible. If the quantity of people is increasing, then we will see more and more designs which are usable, ‘universal’, or, good.    

I have successfully summed up a very basic concept in a very large block of text, above.

I am very fortunate, for a number of reasons, but In relation to this topic, I feel that we are now all living in a society that agrees with the statement that ‘good design is inclusive design’. Able or not, no one likes it when they are faced with a product/graphic, that they cannot understand. If so, the product is rendered useless, obsolete, and becomes waste. In a world in which we regularly face eco-issues, everyone is becoming concerned by eco-sustainability, and waste reduction. We must allow a design to be used. No. Incorrect.
We must design for use.
Inclusive design.

As a design graduate, now disabled and in a wheelchair, I can see problems from both sides. Designers solve problems. A disabled person faces more problems in day-to-day life, than an able-bodied person.

I should be able to both see the problems, and problem-solve. Hehe hmm

No comments:

Post a Comment