Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 15 February 2013

A change...

My week's first note...
"oh mummy, can i have a car like that?"

Hehe, hmmm. These are the words uttered to their mother, by a young child, when out shopping, seeing me. I don't know quite how to respond or feel (so i don't at all)! 'Mummy', who probably understands that this 'car' is actually a fundamental wheelchair, but how on earth does a mother explain the issue?
Should i just play along, and get a 'sub-wooffer' and 'go-faster' stripes?
Methinks not.

One of my main 'problems', that I have already explained on this blog, was experienced earlier in the week. I refuse to names and attribute blame. I realise that I am possibly quite unusual as a wheelchair user, as i am desperate for independence. Maybe elderly wheelchair users are very grateful to be pushed around. 
However 

 Do Not Attempt to push me, unless I ask!!

One, it has no effect (unless placed in 'manual mode', therefore I would know).
Two, tell me if you want supreme control
Three, I will reverse into you behind, making you look foolish.

OK, I've got that off my chest.
As you may have noticed, I have updated the logo to this blog. Well, completely changed it, incorporating the 'PG symbol'. I realise that it will vary on clarity, depending on your viewing  device. As designed on a 21" 1920x1080, it should be viewed at its best on anything the same, or bigger. I think.

I have been recommended viewing 'the undateables' by various people, to watch and follow on television. Fair enough, I may have shown similar feelings as in the show, I would be considered by many to be in the same position. I AM in a wheelchair...
And....

No, wrong. I am just as individual as the next person, and won't be classed as 'one of them'. Forgive me please, I welcome anyone's help, but I remember very well from being a patient just out-of-coma, being told by nurses and doctors in the hospital that everyone is different. All patients are different. Everyone's brain is unique, not identical. Everyone's accident varies. Therefore outcomes will always be different.

As you may have noticed, the logo/link for Thames Valley Housing Association, has been removed, as I finished my time of voluntary work there, this week. I will not be naming names, but I want to give a big big 'thank you' to everyone involved. Special. I wanted to say 'goodbye' to someone (a friend), but I didn't get to see them all day.Then , my faith in fate was confirmed as I bumped into them randomly, on leaving. They had helped set up the whole work placement before starting, thank you.  

Valentines day (last day at TVHA) seemed to be quite fateful, as one other thing which happened, was that some of 'my art', is now being displayed, and sold in a local cafe.
The Press Room, Surbiton. Very very good coffee!
Above, 'A', The Press Room
Below, two of my three pieces on display



Whilst, sat opposite my pictures, in the cafe, feeling pleased with myself, I found myself miming along to the music being played in the cafe. Unsurprisingly, I knew every word.

  
Not depressing in one  moment, I felt on top of the world. 

So, erm, nice weather today, wasn't it? I was making my trip down the river towards Kingston (previously photographed in the snow). I noted that if you always ensure that you always think positively, seemingly, nothing is 'bad'. Only by looking back on things, assessing, you notice 'bad' . Therefore we should always try to live as close to the present as possible. Living in the future, you will always encounter problems. Live in the past, you will see the bad things that have happened. Live for now. Present 'life' can be good.

OK, I have just reread that last paragraph, controversial it maybe. But hey.



No comments:

Post a Comment