Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Thursday 7 June 2012

Weekly notes.

Although my major highlight of this week/month/year so far, of my trip abroad has been described i previous posts, another week has passed and so i have notes that i wish to discuss.

First on my notepad, was made before i had finished packing for my trip.
'A trip abroad would usually have led me to investigate new cd shops that i could discover. The excitement, 'What could I buy?' 'Would I discover anything new?'. So exciting.
This time around I just went on Itunes and selected music on a list which i could scroll through on my laptop. Hmmm, boring. Essentially, possibly the same music attainable, but I had stayed, eyes glued to my laptop, Hmmm. What is an album? Is just a collection of songs, or is it a 3d presentation of the songs?

A note that i made a couple of weeks ago, when it was sunny 'summer'.
'You see so many more 'weekend cyclists' now it's sunny, out, posing. Whereas you can spt the 'real cyclists' out, slogging it, midweek.'
I could continue to rant on about these 'weekend cyclists'(fair-weather only), and i remember how it really did used to annoy me, but now i do not cycle so no comment. Just because i can't cycle does not mean all of these 'fake cyclists' are invisible to me.

Last week at work gave me a huge signpost to learn from. Not literally (I am a graphic designer, but hey)! I had a large, two-page document, that i had created on the computer. Speed-wise, I was moving steadily through, aiming to create the first page in the morning, and second, after lunch. Just before lunch, I showed a colleague who was pleased with what i had created. I closed the computer and went to lunch..... DAMN!!! Oh no, I hadn't saved it. After immediately trying to revive my creation (my mornings work), i failed to do so and went off to lunch in a huff. I spent the lunchtime trying desperately to draw all positives from the situation. I realised that i was not in the mood to start all over again, there were elements that i was sure to continue onto the second page, and so planned to restart the creation midway through, going back to the first page, after the second. I did so, successfully, and on time (and had saved the file a number of times in the afternoon). On the way home, I realised how proud i was to keep my head and not to have become too angry at lunchtime. I realised that I must have had a fair level of self-confidence to revive my design.

Self-confidence is invaluable. Having it allows you to keep your head steady, and therefore anything is possible. The easiest way of finding it, is to look back at your personal history and find similar or worse problems. We then must have overcome them, or tackled them somehow successfully (in some respect). We know how to tackle that problem, or we managed that difficulty, so therefore we can be confident that we'll get through these problems lying ahead.

Death is death. For everything else, positives (confidence, ability, strength) can be found from everything. Everything can be considered both positively and negatively. If there is a negative aspect, there is always a positive to be found.  


No comments:

Post a Comment