Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Wednesday 6 June 2012

Parisian thoughts...

Although I have plenty more 'weekly notes' to bring you soon, I will complete my Paris chapter with notes that i compiled whilst in this most beautiful city.

Only 3 nights was spent here, but I was quickly assured that whilst verbal languages may be very different across the globe, a smile remains universally the most simple and positive gesture anybody can communicate.

I announce with pride that, although i was in Paris and the French can be very proud of their food, the weather and accessibility issues forced me (us - my PA and i)into a japanese restaurant. I tackled the problem of eating my meal with chopsticks, easily. Compared to our standard cutlery, it requires users to only use one hand (I am used to this, post-injury).

I then noted that 'traffic lights do not count in Paris'. I think that this remains a fair statement but i did sit, amazed by the eight lanes of traffic circumnavigating the Arc De Triomphe.

I felt for the first time, that here in Paris, I was in a wheelchair and therefore an 'outsider'. Pffft! I know that I am very lucky to live where i do, but the accessibility of anything in Paris is a no no. Only very modern buildings such as the Pompidou Centre, and the Eurostar part of Le Gard du Nord, are designed with accessibility in mind.

That said, I did come across a chocolate shop on the morning i was leaving. I duly flirted with the staff member, who sold me some mighty fine chocolate, who also showed me the ramp that was installed as part of the step at the front door.
Simple, yet the first i have seen anywhere. Paris? Amazing!



I am not a racist, but it did amaze me the sheer numbers of an ethnic group that you would see in one place (say, taking photos on the Bateaux Mouche), compared to another ethnic group being spotted owning Champs Elysees shopping. I stop as i don't mean to cause harm, but i did find it amazing. Hmmm.

more photos...
Ok ok, i didn't catch you...

I was proud of my wheelchair surviving, carrying me to the top of Montmartre and the Sacre Couer.


Le Centre Pompidou



Notre Dame

The Glass pyramid of Le Louvre

I really didn't predict being able to see Blackpool, from the Seine, but...



     

No comments:

Post a Comment