Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 18 May 2012

Rules exist, to be broken...

Ciao ciao,
Er, right. You can refer to the post title, however you wish. It may seem a pushing, controversial statement. I do not intend this at all. I am not a revolutionary, I just try to allow for me to disregard my self-imposed ban on 'coffee-talk' in this blog. As you may realise, it is a large part of my life, i would not be painting a fair portrayal, if i banned all talk of it.

Right, unusually it is the morning, so i do not need a coffee whilst typing. My first note is to promote Cafe Calabrese. The owner had run a brilliant cafe in Surbiton previously (whilst I was in a rehab home just around the corner). This new cafe is now very close to my family's home, on Coombe Road (near Norbiton station). Brilliant cappucino. If you're ever around the area, make a visit. Good coffee, served with a smile. Whilst on the subject (sort of), I was enjoying my local independent cafe, the other day, recognising their seemingly unique brilliance of only expecting pay, after you drink (unless you take a coffee out, 'to go' - tut tut). I got confused when the woman at the next table ordered what i noted as a 'pscyzophrenic coffee', for it was a 'a regular de-caff, skinny latte'. Four descriptive words, ok. She was creating her own recipe, so much description was allowed. 'A regular', is the new term used by people to say 'medium', but do we really need to state this? Do we not just specify if it is 'small' or 'large'? A 'de-caff'. Right, fair enough, coffee-less coffee. A 'skinny', is using half-fat milk (i presume), however she is having a latte (so milk is needed). Out of the four terms that she used, virtually all cancel each other out. I would have just served her a cup of water (much easier, and cheaper). OK, warm water.

Music, I update you with my current choices. Although, I enjoy listening to female musicians, I am male and recognise the skill and strength of male voices. After all, my favourite artists are Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, and The Verve. Recently, I have increased my Bob Dylan archive (a never-ending task). I also bought my second solo album of Mark Lanegan. Admittedly, I was quite late to discover, but i do remember listening to and singing to the album of himself duetting with Isobel Campbell 'Ballads of Broken Seas', whilst i was in hospital recovering initially from my coma.

Mark Lanegan


No comments:

Post a Comment