Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Monday 2 April 2012

Ich spiel...

Je ne parlez pas dans un autre langue,
parceque...
... I AM ENGLISH.

Right, sorry. I think that made sense in German/French/English (gerfranglais). If it didn''t, diddums.
I have no coffee yet, but there is time, fear not.

Right, notes on my phone. Found.
First note was made last week. I had been invited to a 'resident's meeting' amongst my flat and its neighbouring flat block. There are only two blocks, i do not live on a university campus! As a responsible kinda' guy, i aim to make an appearance at least!
However, i find that it is planned to be held in the other block. Fair enough. On the first floor. Hmmm, right. There are no lifts. Just how are me and the fellow wheelchair resident, expected to attend? Will we be asked to shout up the stairs?
I turn up, the only wheelchair attending. Everyone has to come downstairs, and the meeting is held on the ground floor. Thank you, but this makes me feel 'special', 'disabled', and crap.
It really wouldn't be asking too much to foresee this issue, but, no. I am special, and I have got used to everyone making an exception for me. I AM special.

Anyway, I want to promote, yet again, my belief again, in fate. It may only be possible to view fate in response, or when viewing past things, but 'what'll be, will be' is true. As a designer, and following years of design education, deciding/designing the future, it has been hard/difficult for me to accept, but I have to.

Confused? Coffee.
coffee is got, WITHOUT CHOCOLATE.
doh, but no, i don't need it.

In Kingston, I found the greatest shop signage. So, a photo was taken and, I duly bought what was being sold. V good.


Iconic as the John Lewis building is, attention is immediately drawn down to street level...

I was in a cafe on my lunch break last week, gobbling down a pannini and coffee, when a large businessman strode confidently into the cafe, like a cowboy into a saloon bar. My attention diverted away from my meal, i couldn't help but hear him order. "A LARGE SKINNY HOT CHOCOLATE". I couldn't help but laugh out loud. I've got to be careful, but, c'mon? Big bloke, in a suit and tie, walking bullishly into a cafe, and ordering that? Please. 

Confidence is so important. For me self-confidence is invaluable. I realise that this must make me sound 'right up my own ******'. But hey, I do know the reality, and the seriousness of my situation. Fortunately, I have kept most, if not all, of my cognitive skills, which allow me to keep a certain level of self-confidence. In some respects, I feel that somewhere, somehow, I must have gained from my experience. I know that I have. All equals out. All.

Ok, enough self-loving. My next note deserves a formal explanation. I know that the headline on the back pages of all papers will contain this story:

"As of the end of the 2011/12 football Premier League season, I will stop managing the famous PGTips fantasy football team. It has taken over my life, far too much. I am a fan of football, I miss just following it as a fan. I don't want to waste my effort, hoping that a lower-league team will keep a clean sheet, whilst i actually want to cheer on someone else. I am a football fan, I do not need this 'fantasy' game to maintain my love for the beautiful game."

I feel the need to 'give' you a track of music, as ever. I realise that many will not play, and so, many will miss out.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment