Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 9 March 2012

Cycling by numbers

Right, first off, I must admit that I type this post on a friday night, accompanied only by a cup of coffee. Don't worry, my future wife is going to find me, rather than the other way round. I hope. Staying in my flat may limit chances now but I believe that once i have started walking I begin to look. Lets face it, I need a wheelchair, and am no longer a fit, young, twenty-something. Things change. But, hey it'd be boring otherwise!

Ok, sorry about that rant. I warn that I no longer press 'delete' whilst typing these posts. I am confident that i can talk rubbish and make it sound interesting.

The post title refers to my use of my gym/stationary bike earlier. I have been recently using it in a way to build power. I would usually ride for 20mins in quite a high gear. Today I rode back down in the same gear that I used to in the rehab home (18 months ago). I used to have fairly lowly personal records (which today i beat easily). Since injury, I have always had a problem with balance of power produced by each leg (i remember having a 95/5 % imbalance). I have known that I have been improving this balance, but there has always been an imbalance. Until today! I haven't been specifically trying to balance the power levels (almost impossible, if you consciously attempt to). I just assess the stats, at the end. Today 50/50 naturally, without conscious effort. CONGRATULATIONS ME!!!

A good sign, i think.

I link todays music sample in to my post. As I was playing REM this evening, quite loud, i recognised one of the wonders of living alone. I know that I am encouraged by my physio, to sing, but the main reasons to do so are that I have no fear whatsoever of being heard, and I enjoy 'participating' (previously when I could play guitar, I didn't sing).

"So, Andy did you hear about this one?"

 

REM with Chris Martin (although REM feat Patrick Goodacre is better!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment