Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Thursday 19 January 2012

No Coffee, GUINNESS!

The title of the current post explains that i have ventured away from coffee for this writing.

I do have many notes which i will cover after sharing my recent, scary experience. I went to work today in Twickenham (good place, maybe). Living in Surbiton, I travel by bus without having to change, but it does take atleast 45mins. Anyway, my outward journey this morning was good, fairly quick and uneventful. However my return journey was definitely more of an experience. After being ignored by one bus driver, I made sure the next bus would stop for me. It did, a bit prematurely, stopping before the bus stop. Anyway, the ramp was released by the bus, but i needed help boarding, as the ramp was too steep (as the bus had stopped early, the pavement was fairly low and bus high, as shown below.

      
A passenger then had to go out and check the ramp before the bus could take it in and move off. I was on the bus, all was ok. It did cross my mind, aboard, how best should i exit if the same problem once in Surbiton. Forwards, risking footplates colliding with the floor, jamming or gettig broken and damaged, and of course, my legs. Or backwards, as i would leave usually. Surely it wouldn't be the same problem again, the driver would stop in the right place. Or so I thought.

The bus stopped, the ramp ejected, and i positioned myself on the bus for exiting it. Went down the ramp backwards first.
"Woah crap!!!"
"oh shit"
I had fallen, felt uninjured (fortunately). I was still belted into the chair, on my back, on the curbside.

Fortunately I can be very grateful for people at the bus stop, who saw me, and helped chair-and-me return upright.

I checked my meds, whose case had fallen out of my bag on falling. OK. To my biggest relief, although i had seen my ipod fly out of my bag to the road, i plugged myself back in listening to the tune i was (below)

Looking back on it, i guess that I was just part of the driver's lesson in stopping in right places for accessibility issues.


I am afraid that I lied, am too tired, all of my notes will be written about tomrrow, probably.    

Please forgive the basic graphics as i was so buzzing when i entered my flat, I had to draw them quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment