Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 12 January 2024

Fireworks


 

Who invented fireworks ?

Idk…

Some bright spark


(Not bad for a Christmas-cracker)!?!!


 .. but such a waste of energy!

I lay in bed, the clock struck midnight a short while ago. I’m aware of the constant rumble of fireworks outside, but sounding relatively far-away.

Hmmm, my mind ponders…

Quite a few memories.

New Years eve 20 years ago, I met my last girlfriend!…

Rumble, rumble. It goes on, and on.

This astounds me. 

The amount of potential energy, wasted. Up in smoke. There may be a flash of light, again wasted. In a world that needs to conserve its natural resources, our energy fuels are dangerously scarce. Energy conservation is correctly atop of many priority lists.

OK, I do not know the calculations, one flight to Rwanda may equal a few years worth of fireworks, in terms of energy waste. However, the whole concept of fireworks, explosions, destruction, joy, does confuse me. Think of our terrified pets, as well!



Jan 2nd clarity in a city centre that is usually clogged with traffic.



Last week I journeyed up to Central London. Okay, it was the day following New Years Day, much of the city seemed to still be recovering from parties of two nights before. There was very little traffic around. Streets which are usually dominated by suits and briefcases were empty. It was surreal, but it was beautifully clear. There were no smokes of pollution clogging the sky, no sounds of horns of cars. It was actually quite beautiful (in a surreal way)!

Then I crossed the river, back towards the Tate Modern, along Southbank, back to Waterloo…

There were major problems with cancellations of every train, due to bad weather affecting local lines. Ah well, after witnessing such a unique, empty city, I had found a contributing factor! 

Keep calm and carry on! 


The long slog

My life has been built, trained for this current way-of-existence, but fortunately it was never known for certain. My love of ‘design’ led me to graduate in both ‘Industrial Design’ and ‘Design for Visual Communication’. Neither course were focused on exams, much more work was tested through extensive projects of coursework. We had to work hard, long hours, but time-manage ourselves wisely. Designers are trained to be extremely self-confident, believing in themselves and their approach to the task that they face. Each test will be unique, as each project brief can be different, but each solution designers create will always be unique. One cannot really rationalise results. All is different. Yes, you ‘pass’ or ‘fail’, but so much of the courses were aimed at technical training and essentially approaching problems with the correct attitude / mindset. It was designed to be an endured, long slog as opposed to a high pressure, examined sprint.

I studied and completed two Graduate level design courses from 2002 -2006. 

Cycling. My love.

I learnt, quite late, as a child (I think I was eight years old), thinking I was to act as ’Superman Chris Boardman’ who had succeeded at the Barcelona Olympics ’92 My love of cycling continued from watching the Tour de France on TV Claudio Chiappucci win at Sestrierre, all the way through the ’98 Festina affair’. Positive drugs tests, proving that my heroes were cheats. I read extensively to find that they were not ‘cheats’, but were the produce of a broken sport. I loved the activity of cycling, felt quite able to climb hills or mountains. I knew the fact that I was very lightweight/skinny had benefits somewhere! I also recognised that much of the pleasure to be gained from the activity was coming from long, enduring, tough rides. I was not built as a sprinter, or ever had ridden on a track. Cycling to me, was about endurance. Keep pushing the pedals,  around another hairpin, and you will reach the top!

Rehabiilitation 

The above two experiences, explained directly above, provide reason why I have to approach my current problem similarly. I have just got to keep slogging away. I have done, and continue to reach tiny tiny tiny moments, which make me smile! Just keep going, forever...



I was listening to 6Music earlier in the week (Monday, I think)and Mary Anne Hobbs gleefully announced that she had the first play of some new music by ‘The Smile’!

The Smile

Friend of a friend 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx75oOxpQaY




I was in London yesterday, to my despair I found that one of my favourite coffee shops had shut .  ‘The Espresso Room’ on New Row (just off Covent Garden), was special!


So I soon found another, in which to experiment the experience!

%ARABICA






https://arabica.coffee/en/

I entered feeling totally at ease. I have plenty experience. I drink shots of espresso. I go in to a coffee shop, often drinking the shot as I am paying, after which I leave. My wheelchair means I am already sat down! There is no problem of finding a suitable position to sit (in most)!

The whole psychology around the way that this place is set-up, suited me perfectly! The shop is a looped queue, forever moving once you join! Bravo!

Only four shops in Europe, all in London!


... Another coffee note.

Instagram followers may have seen my post from earlier today...

Yet another taste explosion provided by https://roastingparty.co.uk/collections/single-origin

WOW...

:) very good






No comments:

Post a Comment