Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 18 September 2015

mystifying

I enjoy mystifying people.
Sitting outside my favourite haunt, with the best cappuccino (as always, at 'Amici'), late summer sun. Happy. I get a few strange looks, but this is no surprise, does not offend, but enlightens me! This is a fairly regular case. Often children are puzzled by me, sometimes adults. I check, and do not have a face full of cappucino!  I can only think that people do not expect a disabled wheelchair user, to be 'able' at all. They do not know which box I fit in! 'A disabled, wheelchair user' or a 'an average human being'. No one wants to be 'average', and I don't enjoy being 'disabled', so I try and fit somewhere in between!

Personal space on a packed train! :)
Last Sunday I travelled on a train, which was to get jam packed before I reached Waterloo. In my wheelchair, I sat quite contently in 'my space' in the carriage. I knew I was lucky to be there, but then realised that I was so fortunate to board the train a couple of stations before it got packed. I would not be able to jump on board a 'jam-packed train' (squeeze on, in a wheelchair)! My final destination was to be Trafalgar Square, watching and photographing the cyclists (see previous post)!

Crippled by lack of keyboard, and phone!
Monday arrived, and I felt down. I found, the previous evening, that my Mac keyboard was dying (it had died, but I refused to accept this, and tried EVERYTHING). Unsurprisingly, nothing had changed come morning. I would have to shop, after the Monday morning gym. It was at the bus stop that I realised that I didn't have my mobile phone!!
WHAT?
Stress!
I hoped that I had left it at home, but wasn't sure..
I surprise myself! Black BMW
I don't excuse myself. I do not want to. I approached a zebra crossing of busy Surbiton High Street. Most cars stop, but not all. So I approach it slowly carefully. I slide down the curb, to cross. Then this car blocks my path, speeding across! I raise my arm in dismay. As I do, I realise that it is a black BMW, so my middle finger raises as well!
Then rapidly lower it as I realise what I had done. As I had given him the middle finger, he was waving apologetically anyway. I was left surprised by myself. It was the first time that I had ever done such. I felt guilty, but was unsure.

Lucky tenner 
Bus
My luck changed for the good, in the afternoon. I came across some money in the street. I had seen it, but it was only as I drove over it, and trapped this paper with my wheelchair did I check what it was!
I then approached the bus stop, as the bus arrived perfectly. :)
My luck was completed as I found in the shop, that my desired keyboard was at a discounted price. I returned home, and immediately saw where i had left my mobile phone!
WOOH, a sigh of relief!

The Staves - If I Was (2014) http://www.thestaves.com


behind Jeff Buckley
… Martha Wainright
?
I rate The Staves soooo highly that I think that I only consider two artists to hold more supremely pure vocals, from my music collection (therefore, the whole of ever! ;)). Only Martha Wainright and of course Jeff Buckley have purer voices than the Staves! My opinion. 

i always find a way of independent success, but
The fear of my wheelchair running out of battery power clears all possibility of attaining independent success.
i remember having total fear in PE/Gym classes at school (beginning aged 9 i think). Running like mad at a wooden box, caling it a ‘horse’, and throwing oneself over. WHAT? I lacked mental strength to do this (it just seemed plain stupid), and  caused myself total fear and therefore greater inability. This is an example for me, of the importance of self-belief, regarding physical ability. 


No comments:

Post a Comment