Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 13 December 2013

I Pass!!!

Hiya
Ouch! I’ve just been close to scolding my little pinkies (aka fingers). I hope you lot know and are aware of the extreme dangers that I face each time I write a post on this blog. That mug is flippin’ hot!
The drink is damn tasty as ever, and I WILL survive! So type, I must. I do not try and claim that I only ever use a coffee mug, on a Friday.

There we are, I have subconsciously made a music reference without intending (‘On a Friday’ was Radiohead’s first name). Anyway, notes…

First note
I pass!!!

I had a blood test last week. I am on medication, and I wanted to check that all is ok. Hmmm, I get the results back, and to my untrained eye, they mean very little. Although, I am relieved that I am ‘legal to race’. Or, I think the UCI (union cyclistes internationale), used to deem a Haematocrit level of over 50% to be highly suspiscious, suggesting EPO.
Mine was 42%. I pass. Coffee is my EPO. More coffee!!!


Cafe accessibility 
Perhaps obvious, but this is perhaps the biggest issue I face. OK, it could be argued that ‘accessibility’ is a much larger issue, and it is. It could be said that I take my coffee, seriously, and I currently live in a wheelchair, so experience related issues regularly. Caffeine is a drug. Coffee is a soothing engagement. Life in a wheelchair has its ups and downs (as does everything). Combine the two, and you get a man spilling all by typing on a blog! Hehehe, no, but yes.
I praise cafes that take coffee serious enough to realize that sometimes coffee is NEEDED. It is a drug. Inaccessible cafes are cruel tricks, showing you how wonderful coffee is (we all know), but then holding you back. I won’t name names, but they do exist and therefore deserve no promotion of mine.

I admire but don't desire
My note refers to the sheer happiness, that I was given, having bought a cycling magazine that has a good mixture of professional road racing content, and regular reviews/stories. I spent the following afternoon valuing the surreal fact that whilst I admire the beauty of the sexy bikes featured, in no way can or do I desire them. Happiness. I remember looking through similar publications when I was able to then struggle, considering how it should be possible to save for this, climb that, compete this, race them. Desire. This desire has left me (yippeeeee).
A website link for the magazine…

Oh dear!
Christmas decorations have feelings too!
I attribute my friends Emma and Ruth as co-joint ‘Christeners’ of Tony Owl, and Laura Dear.


Music. Hmmm…
This week I discovered the new self-titled album, from female duo ‘Lily and Madeleine’. A pair of gentle, folky, female vocalists, are an immediate attraction for myself. For those who may know, they are perhaps expectedly quite similar to ‘First Aid Kit’ (you MUST have heard them).


Two notes that remain on ’my notepad’, are related.
Photographing the sun 


Life 'on charge'

The photographs that I use on this blog are all taken by myself, and the photo above is a shot of Surbiton Station, suffocated by the low winter sun. A shot like this could not be taken using an ‘old fashioned camera’, but with a mobile phone?
How times have changed.

Linked to the  following note, as I notice the need to charge my phone. Grrrr! I like to think that I am quite an ecological person, but it disappoints as I realize that I am not the only one who needs to keep a mobile phone charged. The total power/energy consumed by people/everyone is a scary thought! Too scary for me, so just like everyone else, I ignore. Until?

more…

there's only one way to go.










1 comment:

  1. Hi Patrick – just read your Friday 13 post. I came down to Whitstable where I live on Thursday night and worked from home. The PgCert course runs from January to December so by now I'm exhausted. Only another few weeks and the new lot will be in. And off we go again. The course has developed a lot since you were on it. Each year there are about 50 part-time and full-time students. 2014 represents our course 10th anniversary. If you didn't see it, here is the 2013 course publication: http://issuu.com/tonypritchard/docs/pgdip_cert_catalogue_issuu Keep up the good work on the blog. Tony

    ReplyDelete