Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 14 September 2012

Half full!


This week's first note, is actually very old, but still currently applies.
In my wheelchair, I regularly approach road crossings, stop, look, usually expecting to wait for  gaps in traffic. However, cars  often see me on the roadside, waiting, and so pause themselves, and wave me across, whilst holding up cars behind.
I remain, and wave them all through, little do they know how relatively slow my chair is. Eventually they go through. Being polite sometimes costs everyone in terms of time. Then all other traffic  sees themselves delayed by a wheelchair AGAIN.

My next note is a bit sloshy, sorry.
' I just want to walk alongside a partner, holding hands.'
I made this note last weekend, as i saw a lot more couples about. I realise that this is something very special, that only a few can. To be in love is something so so so special, give your partner a kiss, make sure that they realise their importance.

I am so so so grateful and fortunate that my fate has led me on the path that I am on. I always used to think hypothetically whilst cycling. 'If the horrible event of an accident were to befall me, would i prefer to lose my mind (mental capacity), or my physical ability (the ability to ride a bike at all)?' I would always come to the obvious conclusion, keeping the mental power.
I am so so lucky that i have been allowed to follow this route.

When quizzed with the 'glass half full/empty' question. I will always consider it half full. It is said that this more positive. But here's my reasoning:
When you have a glass, you have a glass on its own. Without anything. Just glass. Potential for potential.
Begin to fill glass, and you have two things, glass + liquid. A liquid contained by glass, and, a glass attaining its potential, of containing liquid. Full or not, it doesn't matter, it still contains liquid. Therefore it may be half full, halfway to reaching full potential.

When about town or anywhere, midweek, I often realise that it can be thought that I am cheating, missing work. However, I easily twist the situation into a positive, recognising just how many people that I encounter, whom I make smile. Regular readers of this blog will know just how highly I rate 'smiling'. It is the best way, by far, of promoting a positive feeling. It is contagious, bringing the viewer a sense of hapiness, and so a smile. In turn, someone else, and on forever. I know that most people are at work and so have a variety of issues, on their mind. They may be grumpy, stressed out, tired, whatever, but it costs them too much to wear a smile.
'Excuses, excuses' you may say, but
IT SHOULD NEVER COST TOO MUCH TO SMILE.


Another video of some Swedish sisters. Highly appealing.
'America' by Simon & Garfunkel, cover by First Aid Kit
   

No comments:

Post a Comment