Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Friday 3 February 2012

Identification

"Hi, er, sorry. Are you called Christopher?"

I think: Er, right, fair question. No, but, what? Do I know you? Christopher? Who?
I am called Patrick.
I am not Christopher.

I didn't answer. But I tried not to be rude, as I had no reason to be.
However why oh WHY OH WHY OH WHY,  does he attempt to identify me? Does everyone do this, get identified by a totally random stranger? Why me, because I stand out as instantly recognisable, in a wheelchair? I travel down Twickenham High Street, at lunch, and I do wonder just what percentage of people take notice of me because  I am in a wheelchair. Yes, I may welcome a door being held open, or 'no, i'm gonna have wait for you to walk past' first. I am in a wheelchair but I AM STILL A PERSON. grrrrrr.

Sorry, it just gets to me when it seems that everyone first sees the wheelchair, and thinks that therefore i must be a 'screw loose'. People see a wheelchair, and then work to the lowest common-denominator, 'He can't even walk. Oh shame. Probably a mental nutcase.'

WHATEVER....... 

No comments:

Post a Comment