Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Monday 27 February 2012

Arrogant, Self-centred, ego-tistical....

......etc
Now, all three terms are abusive. But I think all can be applied to me sometimes, and should be to everyone.
Perhaps obviously, i twist them into basic facts of life or even compliments. I believe that it is important for everyone to have a certain level of self-belief enabling them to face different tasks, life throws upon them. I also realise that it is important for us to be able to see where our strengths lie (and therefore weaknesses).
I know that I rabble on a lot about what my love of cycling provided for me, but hey, it has given me so so much, and continues to. Essentially cycling is an individual sport. You may be part of a team, but essentially, you test yourself and you 'crack' yourself. Do you 'win' yourself? It's up to you. Are you a competition or is the race? Hmmm. Whatever, I could go on, and on.
Hopefully you see how cycling can teach you so much about yourself, and has taught me about myself. It has helped teach me how amazing human beings are, and how, with correct training we all could do everything.
This belief, is what I hold as self-belief, enabling me to accept challenges thrown at me, rehabilitating from a brain injury.

I look on my phone, and, my first note intended for this weeks blog post is 'Female voice. Cat Power.'

I mean to admit that my favoured music at the moment, whilst all alone in my flat after reading alone at a coffee bar, doing house chores, perhaps I miss a female voice, sniff sniff. Boo hooooooo.
No the reality is that i'm not a youthful university student anymore with the energy (or ability) to get into decent dance/rock music. I should state though that I type this accompanied by the Chemical Bros set below. It is awesome.



Next note allows me talk about my love of coffee. Although, trying to cut down and drink more water, I did drink an espresso the other day, and to my shock i could tell it tasted poor. As a coffee rookie, i just thought that all esspressi (plural) were difficult to taste.Then as i grew to love them, i figured that they can be fairly difficult to 'badly make' But now that i've tasted  the 'bad', I learn how great the 'good' are. mmmmmmmm

My next note refers to my saturday journey from Hampton Wick, along the riverside, to Hampton Court.   I knew the route well, from my cycling days, but hadn't been along it since.
It soon struck me that I was on a popular cycle path, in a wheelchair for the first time. As a cyclist i would travel down the path, and overtake people (carefully, but i would overtake). I was now forced to be 'the slowest moving vehicle', and therefore was overtaken. Whilst cycling, very few people would overtake me (hehehe), if they did, i would be straight on their tail, protected by their slipstream. But now, a new problem. Don't worry, i don't plan to solve it, just learn to accept it.

There's a river on the left, honest!!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment