Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Tuesday 24 May 2011

Obsession...

I bought my beautiful racing bike, taking my obsession to cycling up to a new level. I remember having to learn to store both my mountain bike and my new Bianchi, whilst at university. I had quickly developed a route, on which i timed myself and speeds were tested in certain sections. I felt incredibly lucky that i could then go home on holidays, and whizz around the park, some fitness remaining from university time. By the time I had finished university, although there were two key things to keep maintained, my design work, and my girlfriend, I also realised that I could and should also concentrate efforts on my love for cycling (a lot easier).

I fuelled my love by joining a cycling club, at which there were many members who had not only the same love as i had, but a larger passion for the sport.

My following of the professional sport was allowed to grow reaching the climatic peak (probably literally) atop Alpe D'Huez for the 2006 Tour de France stage. I, myself, had raced at in the early season, but realising that most races that i would enter, would end in a bunch sprint (not for me, more of a climber), i focussed on watching the Tour in it's proper battleground.





Top: The front two riders, Damiano Cunego (pink and blue of Lampre), and Frank Schleck (red, black and white of CSC), were minutes ahead of the peleton. Schleck would win the stage.
Centre: The final bend is marshalled by poice prior to the arrival of the 'Tour'. 
Above: A demoralising 21 hairpins scatter the route up the 15.5 km of the Alpe D'Huez.


I then carried on cycling strongly in the summer. I did not race any more as i had already made the decision in early spring that it wasn't for me. I was quick to learn that I shouldn't be optimistic racing against Brits, who had flatlands in which to train. Few people may know, but i did have ideas of moving abroad, but these were just thoughts, not plans. I did enter, and ride the 'Stephen Roche' cyclosportive ( 160km, maybe, i cant remember) at the beginning of October, and this was another acheivement, cycling so far, in Northern France. I believe it was followed by my grandmother's funeral in the week after, I was in Birmingham to see my close girlfriend on the following weekend. I then mounted my beloved bicycle on the following weekend, and little did i know that it maybe my last bike ride forever.   



No comments:

Post a Comment