Welcome to my blog. I post on this, roughly once a week (it does vary). I sustained a 'Traumatic Acquired Brain Injury', and a six month coma from a 'road traffic accident' whilst cycling, in October 2006. I spent the following 4 years (22-26yrs old), in a combination of hospitals and rehabilitation homes. Now, I have been living independently in Surbiton, England since October 2010. This blog begun life in December 2010, as i realised that there are many people worldwide that i want to share experiences with. I know that, as a wheelchair user, I am obviously not as mobile as i wish, so, use the internet to connect to you. I enjoy letting my thoughts represent through type. I type honestly. As numerous readers, as well as email recipients, will understand, I find typing to be very therapeutic. Thank you :)
Please note that this website cannot be viewed 100% successfully everywhere. It is designed for optimum viewing on a screen of 1920 x 1080 pixels.




Tuesday 15 February 2011

disability disgrace

Right, you lucky lucky folk. Second post of the day. I got seriously shocked today. I always thought of Kingston as a 'disabled friendly' town. I now know I shouldn't assume. I name names for the first time here because I want it to become public knowledge. I had lunch just on the edge of the square/market place, in direct view of the new Next shop. Moving past the fountain, I entered what I thought was a very good clothes shop. I had a brief look on the ground floor, when I asked a staff member for directions to the disabled loo. In doing so, shockingly and depressingly, I was forced to make it public knowledge that I needed to visit their 'facilities'. Anyway, I then had to be accompanied, led upstairs (a real sensible place for a wheelchair 'accessible' loo). I then needed guiding from the lift through an impossibly tight route, past ridiculous displays, into and out of 3 different rooms, Cavernous. I just followed, not complaining, as, when nature calls. I followed him through different rooms, past various humongous displays, through very tight gaps, to a tiny, unsigned room. There was an unbelievable smell. Oooaargh, not of what you think, but it turns out that down this one toilet, someone had poured a load of plaster (very clever?).
  Basically I left Next feeling very disappointed that this new shop had totally let not only itself, but the whole of Kingston's good reputation, go crashing to the floor. Grrrr. It forces me to a sad decision of 'good but never again'.

1 comment:

  1. Kingston Centre for Independent Living provide a range of services to ensure that disabled people who live, work or study in Kingston are able to lead independent lives.


    Disability Kingston

    ReplyDelete